Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Chicken Lo Mein

You call it a One Pot Wonder. Everything goes into one pot and you cook it at once. Pretty convenient if you ask me! Tonight, well today at lunch, I tried this recipe, Chicken Lo Mein. I must say, it was a pretty quick and easy dish. And tasty!

Chicken Lo Mein

What you need:
  • 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used 2 breasts)
  • 1 - 13.25 to 16 oz. box of linguini or fettuccini pasta, broken in half (I used whole wheat linguini)
  • 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut in thin 3" long strips
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in 3" long strips
  • 1 bunch green onions, white part sliced and green part cut in 3" long strips
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 t garlic powder
  • 1 t corn starch
  • 1 T sugar
  • 1/2 t red pepper flakes
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 t EVOO
What you do:
  • Add the chicken, then the pasta, then the remaining ingredients to a large stockpot and cover. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Stir and reduce heat to medium-low. 
  • Cook covered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.Cook until most of the liquid is gone and chicken is cooked through.
  • Remove the lid and let the dish rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Yields: 4-6

Veggies cut in 3" long strips

 
If you do not have a garlic press ~ INVEST in one!

I am a control freak. So 2 things happened in this recipe. 1 - I boiled my chicken separate while I was slicing and dicing. And 2 - I added more liquids than it called for. I definitely would add more liquid but not as much as I did. I added the rest of the water I boiled my chicken in. Didn't hurt the meal. Just made it very juicy. Oh and I also added 1/4 cup extra of soy sauce. If you add more broth/water, then definitely add more soy sauce.

This meal was stinking good! It was very different from anything else I've ever cooked. I would, however, "modify" it to fit our family a little better. Next time, I will add more chicken and possibly some shrimp. I will cut the veggies into smaller pieces. And I will add broccoli, sliced yellow onion and water chestnuts for sure!

As far as price goes, I came out of pocket on this meal just under $10. I already had the chicken and the seasonings. And I will be able to get a lot more uses out of the cornstarch and soy sauce. We've eaten off of this meal twice and there's still at least two more servings in there!



I give this meal an overall 4 Stars. Definitely something you should try at least once.

Thanks for reading! 



No comments:

Post a Comment