Thursday, June 5, 2014

5 STAR Food

I've been really excited all day to cook this meal and share it with y'all! I cooked Parmesan Baked Tomatoes and French Onion Chicken Sandwiches and both were fantastic! My husband likes everything and anything but he still really, really enjoyed this meal.

Let's not wait any longer. Here's the DL.

Parmesan Baked Tomatoes

What you need:
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1/3 freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 t. oregano
  • salt & pepper
  • olive oil
Here's what you do:
  • Slice tomatoes and place on baking sheet
  • Sprinkle with cheese, oregano and salt & pepper
  • Drizzle with olive oil
  • Bake on 450 for 10 minutes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Yields: 12 slices


Ok. Walmart only had tiny, baby tomatoes so I used 3 tomatoes. Recipe called for 1/3 cup of cheese; I probably used more like 2/3 cup. But this was a very quick and easy dish. It tasted like pizza!! It was very good but I'm not a fan of cooked tomatoes. It's a texture thing I do believe. Will I cook this again? Yes. My husband LOVED these. Bonus for me because this was as easy as fixing a bowl of cereal! It wasn't a cheap meal per say. The tomatoes were $2.50 and the cheese was $3.25 for the bag but I only used 2/3 of a cup! I already had the oregano and s&p and olive oil. $6 for only one dish isn't that great. Sorry penny pinchers!

I give 5 stars for the taste, 1 for the texture and 2 for price.



French Onion Chicken Sandwiches

What you need:
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved
  • 1 T EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 T granulated sugar
  • 4 slices Swiss cheese
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 4 sandwich-sized King Hawaiian buns
  • non-stick cooking spray
Here's what you do:
  • Preheat grill to medium-high heat
  • In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sugar, stirring well to combine. Cook the onions for 25 minutes, stirring frequently, until deeply caramelized.
  • Pound the chicken breast halves until they're about 1" thick. Coat with the nonstick spray, then place on the grill. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, turning over once halfway through.
  • Top the chicken with the cheese, cover once more and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
  • Build the sandwiches by dividing the spinach among the buns, place the chicken on top followed by a generous helping of the caramelized onions.
Prep Time: 5-7 minutes
Yields: 4


I didn't really know what this recipe meant by halved but I sliced it and made 2 out of each breast. Think butterflying the chicken. I also don't like Swiss cheese so I used Pepper Jack cheese. I used an electric skillet to grill the chicken. I have no clue how to operate a real grill! Oh, and I used regular hamburger buns because I didn't see that it said use delicious ones.

I doubled this recipe thinking we'd have leftovers and we definitely did not. Not because we're little piggies or anything. The chicken I bought was on sale for a reason & it did some serious shrinking. I ended putting a whole breast on each sandwich.

THIS SANDWICH WAS HEAVENLY. No. For real. I loved it so much and so did James. The Hawaiian rolls would have taken it over the top. I spend about $8 on this meal. The cheese was $2.74 for 10 slices but I have another meal I will use the rest on. The bag of onions was $5 but I have a lot of onions leftover. The buns will be used in another meal also and so will the spinach. I will buy better chicken next time. This sandwich is worth the extra money on good chicken.

I give 5 stars for everything concerning this dish!! It will be a weekly meal in the Sharp house!



These were the most simple dishes. I started cooking at 4:07PM and was done at 4:59PM...and that was making sure everything was picture perfect. I had to make sure each onion and tomato slice was perfect. And I also took a ton of pictures to make it look all fancy and professional for y'all.

I absolutely loved this inspiration I had! Can't wait for the next recipe!!

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment